In my previous post I gave some tips on getting tasks done; here are some tips on what to get done.
- Never accept a meeting on the same today – it messes up your planning
- Know what you need to do today, and only focus on those – remember to eat the biggest frog First (Brian Tracey)
- Don’t do other people’s work – it is too easy to say yes, but mean no – delegate!
- Only commit to work that you can complete, and if you can’t complete it, don’t commit!
- Don’t make promises you cannot keep.
- Don’t let people flatter you, – if you don’t want to be involved, say no.
Some tips to avoid interruptions and get things done.
- Put your phone on silent and turn it over (so you can’t see the screen).
- Switch off your email. You can check your email when the task is complete.
- Turn off your messaging clients (FB messages, Lync, Skype etc). Even better turn off your network connection if your task doesn’t need you to be online.
- Hide – one of my biggest distractions is people coming to my desk to ask a question. If I hide somewhere else they will call or email me if it is really important (in a corporate there are plenty of hidey holes).
- Focus on one thing at a time – there is no such thing as multitasking.
- Keep a notebook handy (or text file) – so if something pops into your head you can quickly write it down and move on.